St. Thomas Island ( Bulgarian : Тома , ostrov sv. Toma ) or Zmiyski ostrov (Змийски остров, Snake island )), is a Bulgarian island in the Black Sea , 15 kilometers (9 miles) south of Sozopol. It has an area of 0.012 square kilometers (2.97 acres) and is one of a few places in Bulgaria where wild cacti grow. The Opuntia cacti were brought from the Botanical Garden in Bratislava , Slovakia and planted by the Royal Botanist Ivan Bureshon the orders of Tsar Boris III in 1933. They have most of the island since then.  
St. Thomas Island is named after a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas that once existed on it. Snake Island, the alternate name, refers to the abundant gray water snakes that inhabit it, feeding on fish. The island is part of the Ropotamo nature reserve and lies 0.2 nautical miles southeast of Humata Foreland in Arkutino Bay.  
- ^ Jump up to:a b Baykusheva, Tatyana (2 March 2013). “Царският ботаник засадил кактуси на Змийския остров” (in Bulgarian). Черноморие . Retrieved 17 January 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Щилиянова, Тони (2016-01-01). “BG островите в Черно море: Всички с имена на светци, забулени в тайни за пиратски съкровища (снимки)” (in Bulgarian). 24 часа . Retrieved 17 January 2016 .