St. Anastasia Island ( Bulgarian : Астров св. Анастасия , ostrov Sv. Anastasiya , formerly called Bolshevik Island , остров Болшевик) is a Bulgarian islet in the Black Sea . It is located 1.5 km off the coast near Chernomorets , at 12 meters above sea level, and covers a territory of one hectare. It is the only inhabited island of the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast .
The island is supplied with electricity and drinking water. St. Anastasia convent located on it. The convent had existed since the Middle Ages and was reconstructed during the 18th-19th century. It has been abandoned since 1923 when the island was transformed into a prison.
In 1925, a group of 43 political prisoners ( communists and anti-fascists ), led by Teohar Bakardzhiev , revolted and escaped from the island, subsequently fleeing to the Soviet Union . In their honor, the island was renamed Bolshevik Island when the communists came into power in 1945. Bulgarian film director Rangel Valchanov based his 1958 film On The Small Island ( Bulgarian : “На малкия остров” ) on this event.
A Bulgarian Burgas -based weekly newspaper, Factor , Reported in 2006 que la Movement for Rights and Freedoms leader Ahmed Dogan , visited the island and Expressed desire to privatize it. The Bulgarian Orthodox Church , however, which claims the island is its property, would hear none of this.
Today, in the monastery with its church, there is a lighthouse located on the island, a museum, a restaurant, a small quay, a conference hall and two guesthouses with a total of five rooms to tourists. In the summer, the island is accessible from Burgas via boat services running back and forth multiple times a day. 
- Official tourism website of the island
- List of islands of Bulgaria
- St. Ivan Island
- St. Cyricus Island
- Jump up^ “St. Anastasia Island website” . Go to Burgas . Retrieved 17 January 2016 .