The ( Northern ) Sporades ( / s p ɒr ə d i z / ; Greek : Βόρειες Σποράδες ) are an archipelago along the east coast of Greece , Northeast of the island of Euboea ,  in the Aegean Sea . They consist of 24 islands, which are permanently inhabited: Alonnisos , Skiathos , Skopelos and Skyros .  They may also be referred to the Thessalian Sporades (Θεσσαλικές Σποράδες).
“Sporades” means “those scattered” (compare with “sporadic”), and was used from Classical Antiquity to the Aegean island groups outside the central archipelago of the Cyclades . Sporades groups:
- Thessalian Sporades (Θεσσαλικές Σποράδες) or Northern Sporades . Since ca. 1960, the term “Sporades” refers to these islands:
- Kyra Panagia
- Thracian Sporades (Θρακικές Σποράδες): Thasos , Samothrace , Imbros , Lemnos and Agios Efstratios
- Western Sporades (Δυτικές Σποράδες): Salamis , Aigina , Poros , Hydra , Spetses , and the other islands of the Saronic Gulf and the Myrtoan Sea .
- Eastern Sporades (Ανατολικές Σποράδες), ie the islands of the eastern and northeastern Aegean, neighboring the coast of Asia Minor : Samos , Ikaria , Lesbos , Chios , Tenedos , Psara , Oinousses and smaller island groups
- Southern Sporades (Νότιες Σποράδες), ie the Dodecanese , to which group Samos and Ikaria are sometimes appended.
As a part of the 2011 Kallikratis government reform, the regional unit Sporades ( Greek : Περιφερειακή ενότητα Σποράδων ) was created in Magnesia Prefecture , region of Thessaly . The regional unit is subdivided into 3 municipalities. These are: 
- Skiathos (1)
- Skopelos (3)
- Alonnisos (2)
The island of Skyros with A Few uninhabited islets of ict area is share of the regional unit of Euboea and the administrative area of Central Greece .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Skyros – Britannica Concise” (description), Britannica Concise, 2006, webpage: EB-Skyros Notes “including Skiathos, Skopelos, Skyros, and Alonnisos.”
- Jump up^ “Kallikratis reform law text” (PDF) .