Portsea Island is a flat, low-lying island measuring 24 square kilometers (9 sq mi) in area, just off the southern coast of England . The island is located within the traditional county of Hampshire and contains the vast majority of Portsmouth .
Portsea Island has the third largest population of the British Isles after the mainlands of Great Britain and Ireland ; it also has the highest population density.
To the east of Portsea Island lies Hayling Island , separated by Langstone Harbor . To the west is the peninsular mainland town of Gosport , separated by Portsmouth Harbor . To the south, it faces the Spithead area of the wider Solent . A narrow tidal channel along the northern edge of Portsea Island, known as Portsbridge Creek , separates Portsea Island from the mainland. 
Three main road bridges ( from west to east : the M275 motorway , the A3 and the A2030 ) connect the island to the mainland road network. Portsea Island to Whale Island , a restricted Royal Navy shorebase establishment within Portsmouth Harbor.
Portsea Island has four railway stations ( Portsmouth Harbor, Portsmouth & Southsea, Fratton and Hilsea ) connected by an island to the mainland railway network via a short railway bridge at Portsbridge Creek. There are ferry services in Gosport (on the mainland), Hayling Island and the Isle of Wight . There are also ferries to The Channel Islands , Northern France and Northern Spain .
Portsea Island is one of the most important ports in Portsmouth Island, known as Portsea Island.
Two Bronze Age hoards  and a hoard of Roman coins  have been found on the island. In 979 AD the island was raided by Danes.  At the time of the Domesday Book 3 manors were recorded as being on the island. 
A modern development adjoined by one of the island’s Largest green buffers consistant allotments, the sports fields of a Portsmouth Academy and Great Salterns Golf Course, Anchorage Park Occupies a north-eastern portion of the island. Anchorage Park was formerly the location of Portsmouth Airport , which closed in 1973.
Adjoining the eastern green buffer , this extends into the heart of the Baffin neighborhood which has a large pond and the grounds of Portsmouth College .
Buckland is a central neighborhood of the heart of the island, directly south of North End and north-east of Landport.
Copnor is an area on the eastern side of Portsea Island. As Copenore , it was one of three villages listed on Portsea Island in the Domesday book.
In the late 19th and early 20th century the rapid expansion of Portsmouth saw the original village engulfed. The west of the district is a predominantly residential area of 1930s housing, while the east is an industrial and commercial area.
It was originally intended for a railway station; the intermediate station between Havant and Portsmouth Town stations when the line opened. However, this is not the case for a large gap between stations, and the existence of a crossing point for many years (now a bridge). A “Station Road” was laid out, and still exists, however, construction on the station never began.
Fronting the beach along the east coast of Eastney, which includes Easthard Fort West (dismantled), Eastney Fort East and Broad Fort Cumberland , which occupied a modest peninsula. Eastney is the most south-eastern area of Portsea Island and forms part of the Langstone Harbor . Eastney offers a marina and a passenger ferry service across Langstone Harbor to neighboring Hayling Island .
Fratton is a residential and formerly industrial area of Portsmouth . It consists of mostly Victorian terraced houses, and is typical of the residential areas in the city. In the past it has Housed huge railway depot , this goal HAS-been mostly dismantled, making way for a shopping complex.
There is also a modest shopping center on Fratton Road, The Bridge Center , which is dominated by a large Asda supermarket, and in the atmosphere of the working class naval and industrial heritage of the neighborhood, with localised rather than centralized low-budget shops and cafes. . Its railway station is one of four serving the island.
Gunwharf is a modern retail and residential district of Portsmouth That Was Previously Known As HMS Vernon , a “stone frigate” Royal Navy shore establshment icts before closure and redevelopment in the late 1990s.
Her Majesty’s Naval Base, Portsmouth
Hilsea is the north-western district of the city, with a mixture of residential and industrial / retail / distribution areas. It is home to one of Portsmouth’s main sports and leisure facilities, the Mountbatten Center and Trafalgar School . Among its small green buffers to the north and west is Portsmouth rugby football club.
This small central, typical, terraced district of the city has a few high rise developments and is fully residential.
Albert Johnson Quay by the M275 / A3 where the roads change designation. In the westernmost street of this residential side is a wide old listed horse trough and row of homes listed oven, the Charles Dickens Birthplace Museum In His birthplace home, and Mile End Chapel (a studio).
Milton is a suburban residential district of the city of Portsmouth with two large public parks, named Milton Park and Bransbury Park , which were both ounce farms. Milton is located on the south eastern side of Portsea Island and is bordered on the east by Langstone Harbor. Eastney lies to the south, Southsea to the south west, Baffin to the north and Fratton to the west. Milton was originally a small farming village on Portsea Island, surrounded by farmland until it was swallowed up by city expansion in the early years of the 20th century. Portsmouth Football Club ‘s Fratton Park Milton Ward area of Portsmouth, south of the city’s railway line, the boundary of the neighboring Fratton Ward area.
North End is a major residential area in the center-north of the island. Its name reflects its northern expansion of the (then) village of Kingston, forming the “northern end” of Kingston.
Old Portsmouth lies on the south west corner of Portsea Island and forms the eastern side of the narrow entrance to Portsmouth Harbor at the port mouth . Old Portsmouth contains most of the traditional High Street and heritage of the original old town of Portsmouth, including Portsmouth Point (also known as “Spice Island”) and the Camber Dock .
Portsea is a parish and narrower, informal area of the city of Portsmouth , occupying much of its south-west.
Engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel was born in Britain Street in 1806;  writer Charles Dickens was born nearby at Landport on February 7, 1812; the professor William Garnett Was Born in Portsea is 30 December 1850.
The area is known as Portsmouth and the nearby dockyard . The Common Beginning to be developed at the end of the 17th century as a response to the overcrowding within the walls of the old town . This development worried the governor of the dockyard, as he feared that the new buildings would provide cover for any forces attempting to attack. In 1703, he was threatened with demolition by the cannons on the dockyard walls. However, after a petition to Queen Anne, royal consent for the development was granted in 1704. In 1792 the name of the area was changed from the Common to Portsea, and by then it had a mixed dockside population.
William Tucker , baptized there in 1784, was convicted of shoplifting from a Portsea tailor, William Wilday, in 1798 and transported to New South Wales on the “death ship” Hillsborough which took convicts and typhus with it from Portsmouth to the colony. Tucker escaped and made it all the way back to Britain in 1803, only to be taken to Portsmouth for re-embarkation to Australia. He was later a sealer ( seal hunter ), established in Maori heads and settled in Otago , New Zealand, where he became the country’s first art dealer before falling victim to his hosts in 1817 and being eaten.  The novelist Sarah Doudneywas born in Portsea on 15 January 1841. 
By the start of the 20th century, Portsmouth Council had started to clear much of the slum housing in Portsea. The city’s first council houses were built in the district in 1911. The 1920s and 1930s saw extensive redevelopment of the area, with many of the older slums being replaced by new council houses. 
The area’s proximity to the dockyard resulted in its massive bomb damage during World War II . After the war the area was redeveloped as a council housing, houses in a mixture of houses and tower blocks.
Rudmore is the name of the formerly residential district in the western side of Portsea Island near the naval base and the present-day Portsmouth International Port . Rudmore was heavily bombed during World War II and was reduced to rubble. After the war, Rudmore was cleared to make way for the M275 motorway and the junction is known as “Rudmore Roundabout”.
Somerstown is an inner city residential district of Portsmouth that was first founded in the early nineteenth century by Mr. Somers, in whose name the district is now named.
Coordinates : 50.79243 ° N 1.09194 ° W
Southsea occupies the southern end of Portsmouth in Portsea Island, within a mile (1.6 km) of Portsmouth’s focal point city center, its harbor. Originally named Croxton Town after the land owner, a Mr. Croxton, Southsea grew into a popular Victorian seaside resort in the nineteenth century.  Southsea has a thriving commercial area which includes two national highways and many other well-known high street chains. It combines these large stores with numerous independent traders, including charity shops, food retailers and furniture / household goods shops. From 1999, Southsea had its own separate town council, but was reintegrated back into Portsmouth City Council in 2010.
From 1885, Southsea had its own railway line, named the Southsea Railway . The Southsea Railway has three stations at Jessie Road Halt Bridge , Albert Road Halt Bridge and terminus station called East Southsea at Granada Road. The railway line ran off the line from Platform 3 at Fratton Station . The Southsea Railway was closed in 1914 due to economic competition from trams. Railway track and stations were subsequently removed and replaced with roads and housing. We have a modern map of Portsmouth, the route of the Southsea Railway can still be seen.
This residential area includes Alexandra Park , Mountbatten Sports Center , and Portsmouth Ferry Terminal . To the north to Tipner and Hilsea , Kingston , Buckland and Commercial Road, the main retail area of the city. Stamshaw is bounded to its west by the M275 motorway and Whale Island , and to the east is North End . The main thoroughfares of Stamshaw, Twyford Avenue and Stamshaw Road, are two axes of a one-way traffic system.
An eponymous infant and junior school serve it. Its park adjoining the feeder road terminating at the city center (with motorway status).
This small north-west corner has the public parkland point, Tipner Point , and is a mixture of road use, retail / distribution and residential.
- Jump up^ Villars, Paul (1887). England, Scotland, & Ireland, a picturesque survey of the United Kingdom and its institutions . Routledge . p. 242.
- Jump up^ Rudkin, David J (1980). Early Man in Portsmouth and South East Hampshire . Portsmouth City Council. p. 14.ISBN 9780901559401 .
- Jump up^ Gates, William G (1987). Peak, Nigel, ed. The Portsmouth That Has Passed: With a Glimpse of Gosport . Milestone Publications. p. 10. ISBN 1-85265-111-3 .
- Jump up^ Osborne, Mike (2011). Defending Hampshire The Military Landscape from Prehistory to the Present . The History Press. p. 26. ISBN 9780752459868 .
- Jump up^ Quail, Sarah (1994). The Origins of Portsmouth and the First Charter . City of Portsmouth. p. 2. ISBN 9780901559920 .
- Jump up^ Brindle, Steven (2005). Brunel: The Man Who Built the World . Weidenfield & Nicholson. p. 28. ISBN 0-297-84408-3 .
- Jump up^ Peter Entwisle,Taka: Thumbnail Life of William Tucker 1784-1817, Dunedin, NZ: Port Daniel Press, 2005.
- Jump up^ Doudney’s ODNB entry:Retrieved 7 December 2011. Subscription required.
- Jump up^ “History of Council Houses in Portsmouth” . www.localhistories.org .
- Jump up^ http://www.localhistories.org/southsea.html