Abruka is an 8.78 km² Estonian island in the Gulf of Riga , 4 km south of the island of Saaremaa .
Together with few neighboring smaller islands ( Vahase , Kasselaid , Linnusitamaa and Kirjurahu ) Abruka forms the village of Abruka, which is part of Lääne-Saare Parish , Saare County . The village has a population of 33 (as of 1 January 2011)  and an area of 10.1 km².
The first records of the population on Abruka originate from the Middle Ages, when the Bishop of Ösel-Wiek founded a horse breeding manor ( Abro ) there. Permanent population developed in the 18th century. 1881-1972 year elementary school operated on Abruka. 
Abruka is the site of a Central European-type broadleaf forest , which is rare in the region. To protect this nature was created in 1937.
There is a library (located in the harbor building) and a museum which is located on the side of the former manor park in Abruka (The Abruka House). 
Abruka can be reached by postboat Heili from Roomassaare harbor in Kuressaare . 
The twin writers Jüri Tuulik and Ülo Tuulik (born 1940) were born on Abruka.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Kaarma valla asulate nikekiri seisuga 01.01.2011” (in Estonian). Kaarma Vald. Archived from the original on 6 June 2007 . Retrieved 2 April 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Abruka küla” (in Estonian). eestigiid.ee . Retrieved 23 May 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Ajalugu” (in Estonian) . Retrieved 2 April 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Location” . abruka.ee. Archived from the original on 22 March 2012 . Retrieved 2 April 2011 .