Your current search results

Search results

  1. The Musselburgh Arrow

    Musselburgh has a long association with the Crown's official bodyguard in Scotland, the Royal Company of Archers. The Archers compete every year for the Musselburgh Arrow, a competition inaugurated in 1603 and traditionally held on Musselburgh Links. The Musselburgh Silver Arrow is one of the oldest existing sporting trophies in the world.
  2. Musselburgh and Fisherrow Traditions

    Musselburgh in East Lothian, is situated at the mouth of the River Esk, running along side the eastern bank in a north east direction. Fisherrow occupies the west bank of the Esk and originated as an irregular line of fishermen's houses along the shore near the harbour. The communities are connected by 3 bridges.
  3. Catcraig Limekiln

    East Lothian is rich in carboniferous limestone and it occurs in significant amounts at Catcraig. During the Agricultural Revolution, which took place in the latter half of the eighteenth century in the County, lime replaced marl as the usual means of "Gooding the Land. " Some farmers spent as much as 10 shillings per annum per acre on lime - a sum not less than the rent. Its use was extended to building, as a flux in iron-making and in sugar refining and bleach-making.
    Photo:Andrew Ralton 2005 ©East Lothian Council
  4. Skateraw Harbour and Lime Kiln

    Skateraw Harbour was one of a number of outlets for the districts rich limestone workings. It was built between 1799 and 1825 by two local farmers, Brodie of Thorntonloch and Lee of Skateraw, to ship limestone to ironworks in Devon and then return with coal. Prior to this it had been noted on maps that there was an anchorage in the area 'for barks in summer time.' The harbour went out of use between 1853 and 1892 - it was probably overrun by the sea.
    Photo:Andrew Ralton 2005 ©East Lothian Council
    Photo:Andrew Ralton 2005 ©East Lothian Council
  5. Fisherrow

    The Fisherrow fishwives in their distinctive blue and white striped dresses, carrying their wicker creels, were a familiar sight in the streets of Edinburgh, throughout the Lothians, and as far as Galashiels after the advent of the railways. These ladies were important income providers in the Fisherrow community, and came to symbolise the strength of character of the community.
    Photo:Colin D Read 3 September 2006 ©East Lothian Council
    Photo:N/A 1929 ©East Lothian Council Museums Service
  6. Torness Nuclear Power Station

    Torness is an Advanced Gas-cooled Reactor (AGR) station. The station has laid out a coastal walkway from Skateraw to Thorntonloch forming part of the John Muir Way. There is much of interest to see along the walkway including seabirds, seaweed, shells, plants and birds.
    Photo:Unknown Unknown ©British Energy
    Photo:N/A Unknown ©British Energy
    Photo:N/A Unknown ©British Energy
    Photo:N/A Unknown ©British Energy
  7. Runswick Wrack Hills

    Walk along the cliff path south east of Staithes and just before reaching Runswick Bay the route turns sharp right and passes two overgrown ponds. Now a haven for wildlife these ponds were built around 1856 as reservoirs to supply water to an ironworks established on the slumped cliff below. The area is known as The Wrack Hills or The Wreck Hills, both equally appropriate names.
    Photo:Alan Staniforth 2006 ©Alan Staniforth
    Photo:Alan Staniforth 2006 ©Alan Staniforth
  8. An Ancient Manorial Court

    Once a year a group of men meet in a local hostelry in Robin Hood’s Bay and under the watchful eye of the Lord of the Manor of Fyling they collect rent from local tenants, impose fines and discuss manorial business before repairing to the dining room for a good dinner. They are continuing a tradition which dates back hundreds of years.
  9. Seaside Sculptures

    Walk the North Sea Trail to the south of Saltburn and after a few kilometres you may notice a large metel fish to the side of the cliff path, walk a little further and an unusual metal post can be seen. If you have missed these two sculptures you will certainly see the third! A 2.2 metre (7ft) diameter ring of metal standing on edge with ten charms suspended from its rim.
    Photo:Alan Staniforth 2006 ©alan Staniforth
    Photo:Alan Staniforth 2006 ©Alan Staniforth
  10. Presteneset i Nesset kommune

    Photo:Eiri Irgens Johnsen
    Photo:Eiri Irgens Johnsen


  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 100%

EU logoGeocacningoInterreg 4B