In the 1880s, religious awakening reached Hammerum Herred. In the poor heath parish of Ørre, a meeting house was built by the Grundtvigians in 1898, and in the same year, members of the Inner Mission movement built a mission house in Nybro.
For centuries, the highway between Holstebro and Horsens has been an important route through Mid-Jutland. Near Nybro in Ørre, the route crossed the Storeå river before continuing south along the edge of the giant stretch of heath between Sunds and Karup.
Hammerum became one of the most important sites for the growing knitting industry, when the Mid-Jutland knitting industry ? or stocking-knitting ? was replaced by knitting machines and when the railway between Silkeborg and Herning was opened in 1877.