Your current search results

Search results

  1. The Losna knights - important men in our national history

    During the 1300s and the 1400s, Losna was the seat and the base of one of the wealthiest and most powerful families in the country. A good nose for finances and politics, as well as total loyalty, brought them to the top in the royal hierarchy.
  2. The Hess family business at Buskøy

    The old patrician seat of Buskøy, with a trade and inn-keeping license from 1705, has been the home of several enterprising and successful people. For a whole generation, one of the most important fishing companies in the country had its base here.
  3. Cover against the seal, hiding places at the water's edge

    In a number of places along the coast, seal hunting from land has taken place. A sheltered bay with skerries and rocks near the shore was a good platform for the seal hunter. But the seal is wary, and a cover or a place which the hunter could hide behind, was required.
  4. Husefjellet - signal station in the mountain

    From the signal station on Husefjellet the Germans could monitor the traffic through the shipping lane of Indre Steinsund. In addition, they had an unobstructed view of Sognesjøen. All through the war, a crew of 10-12 military personnel were stationed there. Their primary task was to report enemy planes and suspicious boat traffic.
  5. Begla - weapons depot with sinister shadows

    The bay of Beglevågen in westernmost Solund must be the smallest in the country. Here the resistance movement had a weapons depot during the Second World War. The Germans detected the depot and went into action on 2 May, 1943. Four men were arrested and sent to prison camps in Germany.
  6. The old Olden church

    The old Olden church is a wooden cruciform church located on the site called ¿Sjøatunet" in the village of Olden in the municipality of Stryn. The church was built in 1759 and has a seating capacity of 250. The master builder was Jon Langeland. The old Olden church used to be a "sokn" church for the Olden "sokn" in the parish of Innvik until the new church in Olden was consecrated in December, 1934.
  7. Stedje church

    Stedje church is a so-called longchurch (basilica type), built of wood and located at ¿Øvre Stedje" in the municipality of Sogndal. The church has a seating capacity of 600, and it was consecrated on 17 December, 1867 by bishop Peder Hersleb Graah Birkeland. The architect Eilert Christian Brodtkorp Christie designed the church. Stedje church is a "sokn" church for Stedje "sokn" and it is the main church in the Sogndal parish.
  8. Sogndalsfjøra - the centre of Sogndal

    Sogndalsfjøra was the name of the built-up area close to the fjord, on the northern bank of the river Dalaelvi, which was an old village. Nowadays the whole central area of Sogndal is frequently called Sogndalsfjøra, or Fjøra for short.
  9. Kaupanger Stave Church

    Kaupanger church is a stave church from about 1190. It is located on the grounds of Kaupanger Manor. The church has a seating capacity of 125, and it is the biggest stave church in the county. A number of major restoration projects have been carried out, such as in 1862 and in the 1960s. Kaupanger stave church is a ¿sokn" church for the Kaupanger "sokn" in the parish of Sogndal.
  10. The Tingastad saw mill

    Like a green oasis the farm of Tingastad lies in between steep and polished rocks and hostile screes on the shore under the mountain of Storehogen and the hill of Haukåsen, and with a view towards Frønningen and the Aurlandsfjord. This is an isolated place, and nobody lives any longer at the farm. A few hundred metres east of the farm houses we find a small water-powered saw mill which today is the property of De Heibergske Samlinger - Sogn Folkemusem.

Pages

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 100%

EU logoGeocacningoInterreg 4B